Friday, November 23

Shock that blog!, Residential Gateway, and a Wake Up Call to all Christians

Post #: 4

[If you are new to my blog, please read my first post to gain perspective: Blog Diddy Blog Blog ]

- How the Ham’s Cooking

Clear! [Defibrillator Paddles sizzle with charge and blasts voltage into a convulsing blog and suddenly, HamOnTheTech is back!!!!] So I'm back to blogging, and I'll quietly duck the critics who want to blast me for not posting since April. Actually, so many of my fans pleaded that I blog again because they so missed my blog and; Okay I can't even finish that fib. It's obvious that no one missed my blog, but that's not a prob. I haven't put much into it, so I can't expect much from it. However, in the next few months any readers who happen to read due to my crying and nagging of them to do so, will find that I will be including some thought provoking subjects in - The World section. And when some read what I will type, I'm sure my sanity will be questioned. But some recent research of mine has proven that the many things I counted to be true in this world, are not even close. And I continue to research these new topics. I know I'm being a bit evasive, but the readers will understand in time. Don't be confused though, I'm not saying I have changed my beliefs. By no means. I still believe in Jesus as being my savior and that it's only the by the shedding of His blood that can save us from our unrighteousness. Those who don't necessarily believe this, don't worry. I'm not going to thump you with my Bible. As I have said in my first post (see above for the link), I'm not here to force my beliefs on anyone. So for the next couple of months, if you do actually get around to reading –The World section of my blog posts, buckle down and brace. The reality ride is about to get bumpy.

- The Tech: Residential Gateway and Hacker fears!

So I've recently had to suggest to several of my home users that they should purchase a residential gateway to install in between their Internet connection and their computer. This is very important as it helps to protect your IP identity and keeps most hackers out. However as I start my spiel, I can see their eyes gloss over as the tech jargon gushes forth from me like water rushing over falls. So I thought I would take the time to explain in this series of - The Tech what a residential gateway is, where it’s installed, and why it’s ever so necessary to do so.
First, let’s start with some introductory info so that you can understand the importance of a residential gateway. The way that Internet service works is your ISP (Internet Service Provider) buys a block of Public IP (Internet Protocol) addresses. These addresses are regulated and sold by the ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers). Created in 1998, the ICANN is a non-profit corporation in California whose job is to manage the assignment of public IP addresses and domain names. Keep in mind that “public” word when I just described the IP addresses. So once your ISP buys a block of public IP addresses, they then assign each customer an individual IP address. Think of this IP address as a home telephone number, which identifies how someone can call you directly at your residence. When you plug your computer straight into your Cable or DSL modem, your computer uses that “public” IP address when you surf out on the web to request the data displayed on a website. When website servers receive your request, they use that IP address to send data back to you. So essentially, your computer is exposed to the World, emphasis on World. Seriously, go back and imagine me screaming the word World at you when you reread it again. Go ahead, I’ll wait here…. Oh good your back. Let’s continue. So if someone was able to figure out your IP address, they could also receive and\or send data that you don’t know about to your computer. It’s like keeping your phone off the hook and anyone in the entire world just has to dial your number and can listen in on everything you think you are privately saying. Just think of the calamitous catastrophes that would occur should people hear what we actually say about them in our own homes!!!

Of course telephones don’t work that way since people receive a busy signal once you take your phone off the hook. I’m already receiving emails claiming my comparison above about phones is not possible. Please people, it’s hypothetical and how did you email me about it before I even posted??? Is my phone off the hook??

The point though is that your PC does work this way as long as it is powered on. So if a hacker gets your IP address, (and trust me when I say there is a ton of software out there, some absolutely free, to help them do so), then they can start sending commands to your PC. Now it’s not exactly easy to do, but most hackers doing this have pre-programmed software to do their vexatious bidding for them.

Just to give some further perspective, I’ll share two true quick stories with you summarizing hacker deeds that I’ve come across in lending computer support to residential users. One PC I was asked to work on literally would crawl to a stop when it was booted up. It was directly connected to a cable modem for internet access. I had to wipe the hard drive clean since it was so infected with spyware and viruses that I couldn’t even boot it up to repair it. Once I had the PC loaded back to it’s original state, I reinstalled it with a residential gateway in between the cable modem and the PC. After doing so, I was detecting that PCs from Asia and Germany were trying to access this PC. However, the gateway was showing that it was now blocking their connections. The second story involves an older couple who also had no gateway, and found that their Internet access was cancelled because their PC had been hacked and was being used to send copious amounts of spam to unsuspecting people. You can and will evidentially be hacked if you do not protect your PC.

Now that I’ve successfully given you nightmares of PC hacking and increased your stress level for the day, let’s talk about a residential gateway and how it can protect you. First, let me start out with the horribly misconceived notion that your ISP helps with this problem. They will automatically change your IP address approximately every three months, depending on their operating procedures. It’s not to protect you though. They do this to try and interrupt anyone who pays for Residential service but is trying to host a website server. You can pay to have a static IP address but this is considered business class service and costs much more. But again, the changing of the IP address every so often doesn’t keep you protected. Think about how much data a hacker could see or install on your PC in just a matter of days! So what is needed is the ability to protect your public IP address no matter when it changes; enter the residential gateway device. Another name for a residential gateway is a broadband router. It provides a connection for you to plug either your telephone line into for DSL, or your network line from your Cable modem. For those who still do dial up, a broadband router is not necessary as every time you dial in, you are assigned a different IP address. The broadband router also provides connections for you to plug one or more PCs into, thereby being an intermediary link between your PC and your Internet connection. In addition, all broadband routers today are also firewall devices, which also blocks advanced hacking assaults against your PC. But we will save a further discussion of that for another day.

Now before you rush out to your local ‘RobAmericaBlind-Mart’ store to buy a broadband router, you may want to check if you already have one as some ISPs will provide a modem that is also a router. Having said this, I have bad news for users who have cable internet service. I have yet to see a Cable ISP who provides a router with their Cable modem. Usually they just give you the modem and then you are on your own. But for DSL users, I have seen many DSL ISPs provide a modem that was also a broadband router\firewall. So call your ISP and find out if you already have one. If you do, I would sit back and enjoy a steaming cup of java as you surf ‘Theif-bay’ for the latest knickknack that you don’t need. If you don’t already have a router, start saving your money and as immediately as you can afford to, go buy one. I recommend the Linksys 4 port Ethernet Broadband Router. It’s model number is BEFSR41 and you can check it out at Circuit City’s website by clicking here: Router at Circuit City. However, there are many other good routers out there as well. If you want to research further, just ‘google’ “broadband router reviews” and have fun reading. Most vendors also sell a model of their router that is also a wireless access point. For those not in the know, this is a device that allows a notebook user to access the Internet without being plugged into the router. Just keep this in mind when you are looking to buy a router if you also want wireless capability. Stay tuned to future –The Tech sections for more information on wireless in the home.

As for installing your newly purchased broadband router, well you can read the manual, (but who does that anymore???), find help on the web, or call in the big tech guns for support. And since I have apparently written a novel already, I’ll end here. And that’s the Tech.

- The World: Please tell me that Christians don’t believe everything they are shovel-fed!!

How to start, how to start?! I have recently had the blind fold ripped back from my pseudo-euphoric salve sickened eyes and have awakened to an entirely different reality of what is going on in our World. As I said above, I’m sure that the many mislead groups of sheeple will question my sanity, and more than likely write me off as a loon. However, the sad fact is that only the people who have been lucky enough to be blessed with a logical and open mind will actually take the time to research and engage in discussion about the many items that will be written here, of which will appear outrageous at first in the months to come. I went through such a phase as well, where I outright denied the evidence, events and reality of which I had been exposed. But then I prayed about it. And prayed, and prayed, and, well you get the idea. And I’m still not 100 percent sure if it’s God’s Will for me to research this new realm of hard truth, but I know that my relationship with Him has grown stronger by understanding what is really happening. So before we start our truth journey, I have to reiterate again, that my core faith beliefs have not changed. In fact, knowing the truth has only strengthened those beliefs and has actually continued to prove Bible wisdom more and more.

So let me start off with a few recent facts about the so called religious part of our society that will, I hope, help my 2.34 readers to start the slow brewing and bubbling ascent into the actual truth about our current realm of living. Now one would think, whether a Christian or not, that the large religious sects of Christianity would have a set of core values that they never stray from. Apparently, this is no longer true. The first example of this is the recent Pat Robertson public endorsement of Rudy Giuliani as the candidate that can “lead the Republican Party to victory in November 2008”. Check it here: Robertson endorsement. What is this news that appears as “filth and foolery”? (*Ham winks at those in the know of the origin of that comment) Now to some it may come as no surprise that good ol’ Patty supports Rudy, as he has gone public with some outrageous off-base things before, like the so called fact that God told him 2006 was going to be a disastrous hurricane year for the East Coast, only to have nothing of the sort come to fruition, see here – Pat's prediction. Yet some occasionally see Pat Robertson on the stupor-tube, (that stands for TV, folks), and think that he is still preaching God’s word and leading the Christian society down the right path. WRONG!!! How wrong is he, you may ask? One only has to check the political bio of the guy that Patty supports to find out. On a page of his official campaign website, neatly tucked away at the very bottom is detail outlining that Rudy opposes “any attempt to change restrictions on federal funding for abortion”. Check it here: Rudy and abortion. Also, Rudy claims he doesn’t personally believe in gay marriage, but has no problem with making it legal. Check it here and again nicely plopped down on the bottom: Rudy and gay marriage. Now whether you are personally for or against abortion or gay marriage, what should be a surprise is the fact that Robertson endorses Rudy, since Pat has said in the past that every Christian should only vote for candidates that oppose every aspect of abortion and gay marriage. Another tidbit of info that makes this endorsement more surprising is that the media reported on several occasions of Rudy having an affair with his current wife, Judith Nathan, while still legally and openly married to his second wife, Donna, all the while condemning Bill Clinton for his extra-marital affair. Now it’s not for me to judge what Rudy does in his personal life, but I think it does reflect on his ability to carry out any public office. If Rudy has no integrity and respect for his own wife, how much more will he have for the American people? More importantly, the Bible speaks against adultery, so what is Robertson doing supporting this guy???

Another example of supposed Christian leaders taking pot shots at the Christianity’s core values is the most outrageous claims of John Hagee. This false teacher who has garnered a large congregation in his church has for the most part seemed as if he is teaching God’s Word throughout the years. And although I have heard some Christian friends say that he gets a little out there on some things, they believe that for the most part he does seem a legit preacher. That is until now. This news didn’t break main stream media until the beginning of November, but apparently in his new Book, ‘In Defense of Israel’, John Hagee claims that Jesus did NOT come to Earth as the Messiah. He also claims that Jesus himself by word and deed claimed to NOT be the Messiah. Now that is definitely ‘filth and foolery’!!! If you can stand to read this sick pack of lies, see here for the article: What is Hagee thinking?. And if you want to hear it in his own revolting words, watch the embedded video below.



Has this guy lost it?!! If he is not the preview of the Anti-Christ, I don’t know what is! To Hagee: How dare you sir, how dare you sit there in your comfortable ministry making tons of money, acting as if you are doing God’s work, and then grow horns of deception and tell your followers that Jesus was not the Messiah???!!!! May God have mercy on your doomed soul!!

The reason why this is such a big deal is that the Bible tells us that in the end times there would be false teachers, wolves in sheep’s clothing, leading the church farther and farther from the truth. It’s well known that Robertson and Hagee are considered the top level leaders of the Christian society and that they together have a large number of followers. So they are leading many people who blindly follow them down a dark path. Hopefully my readers, whether Christians or not, are smart enough to not to put their faith in any man, but in God. This is why church goers should search God’s Word out on the things that their Preacher preaches, to make sure they are on target with the Bible. Having said all of this, I’m not trying to be a harbinger of doom and gloom and say that the World will end tomorrow because of the treason of both these men. But I am saying that these things should point to the very thing that I believe the Bible essentially tells us, and that is to not believe everything we are fed, whether by so called church leaders or even by our government. I have a ton of scary facts about our government that makes that last statement a loaded comment. But I will have to blog about that at a later time. And that’s the Ham on the World.

- Closing

Hackers, and lying preachers, and fear, Oh my! I hope everyone reading realizes that my point in all of this is that we need to wake up out of our slumber that the world is pretty and bright and everything is fine because our so called leaders, False Preachers, our Congress, our President, etc. tells us that everything is fine and that we should just believe them. Wrong sir, wrong!!! We should look for ourselves, question the data we are fed, and make our own conclusions. The way our beliefs, and country for that matter, are being eroded out from under us, I can’t help but repeat Dorothy’s famous line, ‘Toto, I’ve a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore!’.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You leave no room for argument whenever someone asks me "so tell me...who IS the smartest guy in your family". Very well written, and I must say that you make some VERY valid points. Keep up the great work. (by the way, was I the "older couple" you mentioned?!?!?)

Hambone said...

Anonymous,
I think I'm guessing correctly when I think I know who you are. Wow, that made very little sense. Anyway, thanks for the complement, but I'm not sure it's true. My writing is not that great, and you give me way too much credit as being the smartest guy in our family. My wife can attest to that. Besides, you are being modest yourself, considering all the knowledge, not counting the physical work, you put into your job. Since this is very close to turning into a compliment-aplooza, I'll leave it at the fact that we all have our talents. And no, you and your significant other were not the older couple I was 'spricken' of. Goodness, if you consider yourself and her 'the older couple' then I'm in trouble as there is not that much differnce in our ages!!! This was an actual elderly-ish couple. I say that as tactfully as possible so as not to offend those who are not as young as we are. Anyways, thanks again for the comment. And I may be getting with you shortly about some questions I have considering your line of work in general. There may be some tidbits of info that might surprise you.

Anonymous said...

Looks good Ham, I'm bit confused as to the subtle hints about the end of days but as usual you do have an interesting and well informed take on things.

Hambone said...

Cheeze,
I wasn't trying for subtle hints. Maybe I didn't do a good job of conveying that I'm trying not to be a TV evangelist who is gunning for viewers money by claiming the world will be bombed with fire tomorrow at precisely the end of the Judge Judy show. So I don't personally believe that Armageddon will be soon soon or anything. I don't want to turn people off by churning out threats that the world is done for soon, but it's hard to do so when some of things we are seeing kind of go hand in hand with things that I believe the Bible says about the end of days. I don't know if I made any sense there. Anyways, hope I didn't offend you in anyway, or anyone else for that matter.

Anonymous said...

As always you pour your heart & soul into writing something that is totally awesome. I know you've been uncovering some really rotten things that most "sheeple" don't know about or choose to ignore, but don't get disheartened. Keep doing the right thing & don't give up. I know I may not always be happy about the countless hours you put into writing a blog entry or listening to the latest Alex Jones podcast but keep it up. Your the only source of info that I can rely on. I would have no clue what was going on if it wasn't for you! So get busy! I'm waiting for the next blog entry.